Thursday, February 25, 2010

On the Future of Books: Physical vs Digital Format

I thought I'd share Mr. Scalzi's ideas on the digital book phenomenon. But first, my comments. Many bookaholics, such as myself, are skeptical of the digital books via iphones, kindles, sony readers, etc. I honestly don't think I'd ever buy one for the simple fact that I wouldn't be able to share and loan books with friends not to mention I like having the physical books. Here's what I think should become of books in the future: As with vinyls anymore and many DVDs, when you buy a book you should get a digital copy, something you can download onto a reader of your choice. This nonsense of only having one format or another is silly becuase when you purchase the title you own it for your personal use. If I want Amy Tan on my PC/reader and on my bookshelf I should get to for one purchase price. I want my cake and I want to eat it, too.
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/02/25/this-manuscript-hires-people/
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/02/25/handing-you-off-to-charlie-stross-today/

No comments:

Post a Comment