Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

What I liked about Uglies, book one of a trilogy, is that it features a girl as the protagonist which is hard to come by in survival, adventure, and sci-fi genres. The appeal is all for young teens. What group of people frets more about their looks than young adults? The story was a little silly for me at times although I did enjoy this quick read overall. It was a unique plot that explored ways the trend toward equality might be taken to the extreme and at the cost of our humanity. In other words, it encourges young people to appreciate differences in each other instead of all trying to be the same. If I was ten years younger I would have greatly enjoyed it. As an adult, it was a little fluffy. Most disatisfying was the lack of conclusion at the end of the 425 page book. I like a good teaser ending but Uglies didn't offer any wrap-up to book one. Westerfeld wrote a female character very well. Tally is believable and easy to identify with. Despite the length this is a quick read. If you have time and want to read something strickly for fun Uglies may be your choice.
Rating: 2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment